Joyce M. Capshaw, Principal
Joyce M. Capshaw is a principal at Carmody MacDonald and concentrates her practice in the area of family law.
Joyce was designated in the 2006 edition of Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top family law attorneys in the state, a designation attributed to only 5 percent of lawyers in Missouri based on criteria in its survey. St. Louis Magazine also recognized her in 2006 in its "Best Lawyers" edition, stating that her "electric energy, flamboyant style and a sharp intellect have made Joyce Capshaw one of the most sought-after divorce attorneys in St. Louis." She has achieved an AV rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Inc. law directory, the highest rating attainable for legal ability and ethical standards.
Joyce was recognized in 2007 as the Honorary Inductee into the Order of Barristers at the University of Missouri School of Law, a national law school honor society founded for the purpose of promoting legal advocacy and advancing the ethical standards of the legal profession. Joyce was chosen by a committee of administrators at the law school based on a variety of factors, including her professional accomplishments and service to her community and profession. Joyce was also recognized by Missouri Lawyers Weekly in its 2008 "Missouri's Best" publication. Joyce received the award for Best Divorce Attorney in the State of Missouri and Best Dressed Female Attorney. The "Missouri's Best" competition identifies winners in 36 different categories of excellence, as voted by their peers.
Joyce held every office on the board of directors of the St. Louis County Bar Association, culminating with a term as president in 1994-1995. She is currently the special representative for the Region X Disciplinary Committee of The Missouri Bar, a position she has held since 1991.
In addition to her legal practice, Joyce devotes substantial time and energy to charitable organizations throughout the St. Louis community. She served on the board of directors of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Metropolitan St. Louis for six consecutive years and is a charter member of the Make-A-Wish Friends Board. In 2009, she was honored by Make-A-Wish with the 2009 Star Award - Unsung Hero. The Star Awards honor individuals who have given extraordinary support to the Foundation and the wish children. Joyce serves as a charter member of the board of directors of Caring for Kids, Inc., a St. Louis philanthropic organization created in 2003 to provide urgent and essential resources to enhance the lives of children involved in and referred by the court system of St. Louis County.
Joyce grew up in Chaffee, Missouri as one of seven children. Her father, Robert H. Capshaw, strongly encouraged and took great pride in the education of his children. Three of Joyce's siblings are also graduates of the University of Missouri School of Law.
Professional & Community Involvement
- University of Missouri-Columbia Law School Foundation, Board Member, 2015-present
- Special Representative for the Region X Disciplinary Committee, 1991-present
- St. Louis County Bar Association
Executive Committee member, 1988-1991
- Family Court of St. Louis County Mediation Subcommittee, 1993
- St. Louis County Circuit Court Transition Committee, 1993
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Metropolitan St. Louis Board of Directors, 2000-2007
- Make-A-Wish Foundation "Friends" Board of Directors (Charter Member), 2005-2010
- Caring for Kids Board of Directors (Charter Member), 2003-2012
Areas of Practice
Awards & Distinctions
- University of Missouri School of Law Order of Barristers
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly "Missouri's Best Divorce Attorney" - 2008
- University of Missouri School of Law, Columbia, Mo., 1982
- Order of Barrister
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo., B.S., Education, 1976